Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Deja vu

If you are a mom you can relate to the feeling of Sleep deprivation!  It’s bound to happen to anyone with kids…especially my kids at least.  Bianca is my early riser; she is up by 6 almost every morning.  Then there is Paisley my night owl; who if I let her would be happy to stay up till midnight playing with her Barbie and my little pony collection.  If that weren’t enough the cherry on top it Gage.  All in all he is a great sleeper but he still gets hungry about 2 am.  All the different sleep patterns leave me stretched a little thin some days.  It might not be so bad if I could get a nap in every now and again.  Unfortunately the girls are getting to the age where naps are no longer a daily occurrence and NEVER at the same time that Gage takes his nap.

My kids are busy…and by busy I mean ALWAYS into SOMETHING!  This is why cleaning the house is such a hard task.  Example:  I’m in the kitchen doing dishes (for some reason we always have dishes) Paisley is in the bathroom unrolling a new roll of toilet paper, Bianca just dumped out all the coloring books and colored pencils and Gage is throwing his snacks on the floor from his highchair.  When I’m done with dishes I find the toilet paper and have to pick it up and replace the roll.  While cleaning that mess Paisley has moved onto to her room where the contents of the Barbie box are now littered across the floor and she is in Bianca’s bunk bed with 1 Barbie!  Gage is tired of being in his highchair so I move him to the playpen until I can pick up the coloring books and pencils.  Bianca joins Paisley in her room but wants to play with Babies and not Barbies so another box is emptied while I put the coloring books and pencils back. 

I know what you are thinking, have them help pick up.  I do most days but when I say lets pick up somehow the message is discombobulated between my mouth and their ears.  I literally have to break it down for them in order for things to get done “pick up the red pencil.  Put the pencil in the pencil box.  Good job.  Pick up the blue pencil.  Put the pencil in the box.  Good job.” which in turn takes 4 times as long and if you have two children clean it can get chaotic with all the directions. Regardless, it’s like shoveling snow in a blizzard at my house most days!

I’m digressing.  Needless to say I’m exhausted and last week when the planets and stars aligned for all three of my children to take a nap after a trip to Wal-Mart at the same time I was thrilled.  So many things could be done without interruption and distraction for the short hour I had.  So instead of finishing laundry or putting the last couple bags of groceries away or working on a sewing project I chose to lay on the couch and close my eyes for a few moments; and that was my mistake.

If you read my blog you know that things happen when I sleep.  You can catch up on some good laughs if you read this one!  http://goincrazyinkansas.blogspot.com/2010/12/is-it-just-me.html  I should have known that it was too good to be true that all kids would nap a full hour.  After resting my eyes for 20 or 30 minutes I realize that Paisley has curled up next to me on the couch.  I decided rather than send her back to her bed I would relish the moment and enjoy her company.  As I wrap my arm around her Déjà vu took over.  She is sticky…why would she be sticky.  My mind jumps back to the time Bianca got into a jar of Desitin and slathered herself my bed and the carpet in it.  As the rush of adrenalin hits my blood stream I practically push her off the couch to quickly survey the predicament I have once again found myself in. 

My worst fears are coming true as I process what my eyes are taking in.  Paisley face is white from the nose down as if she had a white 5 o’clock shadow, her arms look as though she is wearing white opera gloves and her pants and feet are also covered in the white substance.  The couch (which is black leather) also has large smears of this white cream and my pants where she had been laying next to me had also fallen victim to this incident.  As the rest of my senses took in the horrific reality that history was repeating itself I recognized the smell of sunscreen.  I had gotten a brand new bottle of sunscreen at Wal-Mart and it was one of the items I had left to put away from our trip that morning. 
Next I needed to find the scene of the crime.  As I stood up from the couch I was praying that she had stayed in the kitchen where we have tile floor and clean up would be bearable…no such luck.  As I continued down the hall I looked in her room.  Sure enough just as Bianca had two years previously Paisley had emptied the contents of a bottle of sunscreen into her carpet in a 2 foot by 3 foot area.  Bianca was still sleeping so I went back to Paisley to strip her of her clothes and start cleaning her up.  After Bianca woke up I began the two and a half hour long scrub job.  Used 3 bottles of rubbing alcohol to break up the oily base, a bottle of hairspray to disperse the lotion, shampoo to help lift the cream out and toped it off with a bottle of shout and a bottle of carpet cleaner to remove the stain.  I am happy to report that unlike the desitin it did all come out. 

Paisley on the left in Sunscreen; Bianca on the right in Desitin
I did take pictures for a good laugh in the future and will not be napping anytime soon J

No comments:

Post a Comment