Saturday, February 4, 2012

Freezer Meals

During a particular difficult time in my life, new baby, hospitalized daughter and mother plus one healthy older child, my bible study group all chipped in and bought me a package of freezer meals from one of those businesses that assembles meals for you to just place in your freezer for later use.  Thus began my journey!  At the time this was a life saver and I’m so thankful for their generosity and kindness, and I opted to purchase another package of meals to get me through those couple months.  I loved how delicious they were, because let’s be honest anytime someone else does the cooking it tastes better, but on the other hand they were certainly more expensive than my everyday budget could afford. 

I started doing easy meals that I knew we loved and were easy to make in bulk and would freeze; mainly lasagna and broccoli cheese chicken alfredo, and meat loaf.  These were nice for those nights that we were busy or I didn’t have the energy to cook, or even those weeks when the budget was tight and I knew we had to wait to go to the store and our fridge was looking a little bare.  But with only a few options I began to think outside of the box and explore what other recipes would be easy, cheap, and freezable. 

I will be the first to admit some of the recipes I tried did not turn out so well or taste so well.  I have spent a lot of time on the internet exploring and ready about what freezes well and recipes others have used. 

I recommend making a plan.  I think its most effective to do it this way so you can get the best bang for your buck, make the least amount of mess possible (disclaimer: there WILL be a mess), and be time effective.  The first thing I do is pick out my recipes.  I try to make sure there is a variety of flavors and ingredients.  I don’t want to make all chicken dishes or all soups, or all Mexican flavors, but at the same time to try to keep some the same so that I can buy ingredients in bulk. 

Next make a list.  I have always been a big fan of lists but I find them incredibly helpful in this event because even if you make a mental note you need chicken pork and beef,  you may forget how much of each…unless you have a mind like a steal trap, in that case I’m jealous!  This way when you make your list, as you are looking over your recipes you can double check all your quantities and measurements of those things you need.  Double check your pantry too because I’m notorious for buying things I already have and or thinking I had something I didn’t. 

Now that you have your lists make a shopping plan.  I like to get some things in bulk.  This makes it so much more cost effective.  Weather you shop at Sam’s Club, Costco, or another warehouse store; you would be amazed at how much this can save you.  Generally speaking I get my meat, cheese and produce from the warehouse store.  This is also a great place to buy zip lock bags, foil pans and wrap for your meals if you have to space to keep the unused in storage for the next time you do this.  After you get all the big items go to your local store and get the rest of everything you need.  Be a smart shopper and if you see your local store is having a 99 cent a lbs sale on chicken buy where its cheaper.  I have not mastered the art of couponing yet.  I have found for me personally on the coupons I do have that the generic brand is still cheaper and therefore that is usually what I get.

Next we tackle the hard and most laboring part.  I like to prep all the vegetables first.  Peel and chop them into the correct sizes and styles.  EG: Carrots can be julienned, rough or fine chopped etc… I place them in bowls for what I think I will need and bag the rest for later use and stick them in the freezer.   Next I sort my recipes in likeness of main ingredient.  I like doing my ground meat first, then move on and work with similar proteins weather it be pork chops then steaks then chicken personally, but you should do whatever you think will work best for you.  Keep your zip lock bags and a sharpie close so you can label as you complete meals.  Other thing I have found helpful is the just place your trash can out and next to you as you will be going through a lot of it with all the packaging and scraps when prepping your numerous meals. If y9ou are able to freeze you meals flat they store better that way but in my case the freezer is never empty enough for that so I stack, roll, and stuff where ever I can find room J  I hope this inspires, helps or educates someone. 

I learn new things all the time and just ordered a new book about making freezing meals.  I hope it has new recipes, ideas and techniques that make me a better meal freezer.  If you are looking for more ideas and inspirations try this book too, Don’t Panic…Dinner’s in the Freezer.  I haven’t read it yet but I found it on a couple other blogs and they seemed to enjoy it!  I know there is a sequel too with more recipes of you like this one!  My next blog will be of the recipes I have used.  I found most of them on www.pinterest.com and a few others on http://fabulesslyfrugal.com/freezer-recipes …another website with freezer meal ideas and tips.  Happy cooking!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, if you want to make them even easier on the flip side of coming out of the freezer, get yourself a seal a meal, or a food saver. When they come out of the freezer, they can go directly into a pot of boiling water. Now lasagna or enchiladas dont come out all that great, but chicken breast, pork, meat you want thoroughly cooked, (i dont do beef as i like it pretty red)soups, rice, they all come out perfect!

    ReplyDelete